October is a busy month for our agency! Here are some of the events we’ll be participating in – hope you’ll join us.
Community Conversations: Big Little Lies
Domestic violence – and the significant impact it has on children – was expertly portrayed in one of the story lines in the book and limited HBO series Big Little Lies. Join the Advocacy Center for facilitated Community Conversations about the complex themes of domestic violence, especially the striking discrepancy between public perception and private experience.
- Tompkins County Public Library: October 22nd, 12pm
- Ulysses Philomathic Library: October 29th, 6:30pm
- Keep an eye out for a display at Buffalo Street Books, too.
- Let’s turn Tompkins County purple! Grab your favorite purple scarf, pants, shirt, hat, skirt – anything really! – and join others around NYS in going purple to raise awareness and show support for survivors of domestic violence.
- Cornell Shines a Light on Domestic Violence: For the third year in a row, there will be numerous information tables set up throughout Cornell’s campus to share resources and information about how to recognize and respond to DV.
- Ithaca College’s fountain will be turning purple to recognize Shine the Light on Domestic Violence Day.
- Please share a picture on social media using hashtag #GoPurpleTompkins and be sure to tag us (@advocacytc).
Red Flag Campaign Display
- Tompkins Cortland Community College will be displaying the Red Flag Campaign from October 28th through October 30th. This awareness campaign seeks to highlight the red flags of relationship abuse at colleges and universities.
Wizarding Weekend—October 26th & 27th, 10am-5pm, Downtown Ithaca:
- Wizards, Witches, and Magically-Impaired Folk (MIFs) alike are invited to visit us during Wizarding Weekend to find out how to join the Wizarding Army or the Magical Safekeeper Society.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE: