No one deserves to be a victim of domestic or sexual violence. You are not alone and this is not your fault. We are here to help you.
If you have recently been sexually assaulted you can take the following steps:
- Get to a safe place, call 911 if in immediate danger
- Avoid showering, changing your clothes, brushing your teeth, eating, drinking, or urinating until you have decided whether or not to have a Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE) at Cayuga Medical Center
- Call our 24 Hour Hotline to discuss the option for a Sexual Assault Nurse Exam (SANE) at Cayuga Medical Center
- This exam is very time sensitive and needs to be completed as close to the assault as possible
- Seeking a SANE Exam does not require you to report to the police however medical evidence can be collected and held at the hospital while you decide
- Teens can have a SANE Exam completed without parental permission. Teens can call and talk with an advocate to discuss other confidentiality concerns!
- Survivors can waive their health insurance and have the NYS Office of Victim Services pay for the SANE Exam
- Discuss your legal and safety options- including housing- with an advocate